Monday, June 9, 2008

Never Leave Home Without

There a few items that I never leave home without on any adventure or canyon trip. There is actually more to this list though these are three favorites.

The #1 item that I always have on me is my Breitling Emergency. If you don't know what that is that is the watch that Bear Grylls wears in Man vs Wild. I had mine before the show even existed though I think it is really cool that is the watch her wears. I had to rewind my Tivo when I was watching the first episode and saw his watch flash in front of the screen. For those who don't know the Breitling Emergency has a distress beacon that when pulled sends search and rescue to your location. It is the coolest thing. Don't pull it for fun though it is a 10k fine to yourself if it isn't an emergency.

The second item is my knife. Even on an hour hike with my daughter I have my knife on as you never know when you may need it. The more you experience in the outdoors the more you appreciate how much you can over come with just a knife.

The third is straight from Man vs Wild because it is my favorite show. I used to carry water proof matches, though now I carry a flint. I have had to practice to get good at it. If Bear Grylls always takes a flint with him into the wild than so will I. It is more fun than water proof matches once you get good at using it.
blog comments powered by Disqus